Monday, October 10, 2011

Monday Morning S--t Storm

I know I've been gone for a while, but every shit stormer needs their own walk about as it were. While I was gone I've been doing things like podcasting, analyzing the offensive tendencies of 14-18 year olds, and I've joined a protest or two. Today I'm protesting work, you can follow me on twitter at #occupylattimerscouch

However, I have had some time to pursue my 7th favorite past time which is watching TV. During one of my sessions, I wondered why there weren't more TV shows centered around sports? I kind of felt like some of the humor and drama was already there, and the writers could also address some of the issues facing the sport.

To be sure, we've had shows like that. Playmakers was probably the first I can remember. The show really addressed the dark side of professional football, and it's cancellation coincides with ESPN's transition from a 20 something bachelor into a suit wearing company man.


I'm sure you all know about Friday Night Lights. (the TV show)It was fun and all. Icehouse was an extra, but let's be honest. FNL was essentially Glee for jocks.


As you can see these two great TV shows follow the same path of most sports TV shows and movies. They just blatantly throw stereotypes and issues right in your face and lack an accurate portrayal of the games. The quick and easy solution to this dilemma is fairly clear, but unfortunately David Simon is busy right now.

So our job for the shit storm is to get together and create a sports drama. In the spirit of the shit storm's triumphant return I say we work together on this one. Someone start off with a sport, and we'll just brainstorm from there.

Shit storm begin.

3 comments:

  1. The Nets would be a good one. Crazy owner(s) doing crazy shit, leaving New Jersey for Brooklyn, their best player bounced to Turkey, and one of their role players married a reality star. Lot of story lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I was actually thinking about the NBA. All the wives/road meat story lines would intrigue the women demographic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Project Runway meets the NFL in "Get NFL Players to Try and Make Clothing and Watch Them Interact with People in the Fashion Industry and Make One a Mole."

    It goes without saying that one of the contests will be a mole, a la "The Mole."

    ReplyDelete